Major Objective as Municipal Copration focus on Public health includes water supply, sewerage and sanitation, eradication of communicable diseases welfare includes public facilities such as education, recreation, regulatory functions related to prescribing and enforcing building regulations, encroachments on public land, birth & marriage registration and death certificate, public safety includes fire protection, street lighting, public works measures such as construction and maintenance of inner city roads, and development functions related to town planning and development of commercial markets. In addition to the legally assigned functions, the sectoral departments of the state government often assign unilaterally, and on an agency basis, various functions such as family planning, nutrition and slum improvement, disease and epidemic control, etc.
Besides the traditional core functions of municipalities, it also includes development functions like planning for economic development and social justice, urban poverty alleviation programs and promotion of cultural, educational and aesthetic aspects. However, conformity legislation enacted by the state governments indicate wide variations in this regard.
- Urban planning including town planning
- Regulation of land-use and construction of buildings
- Planning for economic and social development
- Roads and bridges
- Water supply domestic, Industrial and commercial purposes
- Public health, sanitation, conservancy and solid waste management
- Fire services
- Urban forestry
- Preventive Health Care
- Provision of urban amenities and facilities such as parks, gardens, playgrounds
- Burials and burial grounds, cremations, cremation ghats/grounds and electric crematoria
- Cattle pounds, prevention of cruelty to animals
- Vital statistics including registration of births and deaths
- Street lighting
- Parking lots, bus stops and public conveniences
- Regulation of slaughter houses and tanneries
- Slum improvement and up gradation
- Protection of the environment and promotion of ecological aspects
- Safeguarding the interests of weaker sections of society, including the handicapped and the mentally retarded
- Urban poverty alleviation
- Repair and maintenance of drains.
- Emancipation of dead dogs.
- Measures to control spreading of contagious / infectious diseases.
- To remove the heaps of garbage.
- To remove the debris.