Pali is a trade centre in western Rajasthan. It is an important industrial centre in this region. The history of the town can be traced back to 10th century. The oldest monument in the city is Somnath Temple which was built in 10th century. In the 11th century A.D. It was ruled by the Guhilas of Mewar. In the 12th century it came under the rule of chauhans later on Pali remained a part of the Marwar Kingdom. Initially the development of the city was confined upto river Bandi in the south, Lordiya Talab in the north. Maharaja Ummed Mill was established in the year 1941 which brought new dimension to the growth of the city.The birth Place of great Maharana Pratap, situated near Somnath Temple.
Pali Town is situated on the bank of the river Bandi at 25o47' North latitude and 73o20' East longitude at a distance of 300 km from Jaipur and 35 km south east of Jodhpur on the NH- No. 14, Jaipur-Radhanpur. Town is at an average altitude of 212 m above Mean Sea Level. It is the district headquarters and has a population of 230,075 as per census 2001. It is an important industrial town for textiles. Its nearest railhead is at Marwar which is at about 35 km and thus is very well connected to the surrounding towns and cities. Nearest airport is at Jodhpur which is at a distance of 75 KMs. It experiences mild showers during the months of July, August and September and has maximum temperature of 40oC and average daily minimum temperature of 27oC. During the winter average daily maximum temperature is 25oC and minimum is 10oC. The average annual rainfall is 412 mm.